Adoptive mom’s ‘newborn’ photo shoot with 13-year-old son goes viral
“Here’s my sweet not so little newborn! His name is Latrell and weighs 112 lbs.,” his mom Kelli Higgins proudly announced on Facebook, where the boy’s simple wish created an online sensation.
Higgins and her husband adopted Latrell and his sister Chanya two years ago, welcoming the siblings to their home in Crestview, Fla. The family already had five biological children, with a sixth one on the way, but Higgins felt she had more love to give, especially to kids who would have a harder time finding a home because they were older. In the past decade, more older children have become available for adoption, experts say.
“These children, once they get past a certain age, they don’t find homes and they age out of foster care,” Higgins told TODAY.com.
“They have to figure out the world on their own and there’s no one to go back to as an adult. Where do you go for Christmas? It’s just horrible, it’s heartbreaking.”
Then one day, social services called: Latrell and Chanya, then 10 and 5, were looking for a family. “Let’s just go for it,” Higgins recalled her husband saying. A few days later, the kids moved in. The Higgins were the only ones to submit paperwork to adopt the pair, the family found out.
The siblings are growing up happily, but wounds from the past sometimes surface unexpectedly.
The family was sitting around the dinner table last month, when Higgins – a professional photographer – mentioned that she was preparing for an upcoming baby photo session. Latrell mentioned that he wished he had baby photos of himself.
Higgins’ 12-year-old daughter asked, why not “recreate” a newborn photo shoot just for Latrell? The family had a good laugh thinking about him in all the newborn poses.
“I thought it was funny and that it would be a good idea,” Latrell told TODAY.com. His mom found the notion bittersweet.
“I was very sad too because I didn’t have any photos of him either,” Higgins said. “I think it’s really hard to have children and not know what they looked like when they were younger.”
- laceedawnmadron likes this
- demetrialovatoismyhero reblogged this from toosadfortoast
- chokolatesoul reblogged this from viciousvixen9
- leehansheng88 likes this
- sogracelessthatway reblogged this from beautifullymindful and added:
- domo-homo reblogged this from marfmellow
- domo-homo likes this
- toosadfortoast reblogged this from viviandemilo
- shadowsgivenflesh likes this
- stary-eyed-hijabi reblogged this from snarkbender
- young-man-old-soul likes this
- substancesauce reblogged this from inthereign
- natethedragon likes this
- vampirefinch reblogged this from snarkbender and added:
- r0flma0 likes this
- yungdragula reblogged this from seriouslynatural
- panicriddenmillennial likes this
- wifihunter likes this
- losingmyshitaswespeak likes this
- susurrations likes this
- justeletemps likes this
- razzmctazz likes this
- janeskellington reblogged this from ladyknuckles
- woldswarm likes this
- brokenhearted486 reblogged this from ladyknuckles
- re-kat likes this
- multipletrees likes this
- ssoux likes this
- lil-reina likes this
- tovarischi likes this
- vizualdesperado likes this
- rienko likes this
- mickyalexander likes this
- alyshabee likes this
- spacebunnysparkle-empress reblogged this from the-princess-of-denial
- spacebunnysparkle-empress likes this
- the-princess-of-denial reblogged this from ellethelibertine
- forwardtoforget reblogged this from marfmellow
- everydaypenny reblogged this from lemambanoir
- rupturedthoughts likes this
- otumblrdapurapsicodeliamagica reblogged this from stelmariaone7
- neezieetee reblogged this from kyssland
- stelmariaone7 reblogged this from whenwomenwerewarriors
- nothingbuthisthing likes this
- ka-ih reblogged this from shaniroti
- lapoetemaudite likes this
- randomstabbing likes this
- pussinpradaboots reblogged this from shaniroti
- heaveniswhenyoutouch likes this
- idiotiques reblogged this from biocentricvegan